Sunday, September 20, 2015

Pumpkin Seed Brittle

Pumpkin season is upon us! I find that I really love pumpkin and pumpkin seeds, but most "pumpkin spice" products either contain no actual pumpkin product or blow out my palate with an overabundance of spices. Such was the case with some pumpkin spice brittle I bought last fall...the amount of spices on it meant that I couldn't actually taste the pumpkin seeds inside, which was a big bummer. 
This week, I had a bag of leftover pumpkin seeds in my fridge, so in keeping with trying to make use of everything in my fridge and cabinets, I decided it was time to turn them into some homemade Pumpkin Seed Low-Spice Brittle.

I've slightly adapted a recipe from Bon Appetit which worked really well...next time I might have to double it. You'll need a candy/fryer thermometer unless you're really comfortable with caramel, but you can grab one of those at the supermarket for just a few dollars. Working with caramel takes some patience and the ability to keep your fingers out of the yummy looking stuff - it can really burn, so wait until it's cooled. 

First, set up a baking sheet with either a silicone mat or a lightly oiled piece of parchment paper. Next, put 1 c granulated sugar, 1/2 c light corn syrup (not the reduced sugar kind), and 3 Tbsp water into a heavy saucepan. 


conveniently, the clip is right over the numbers I need...
Bring sugar mixture to a boil, stirring until it has dissolved. Attach the thermometer to the side of the pan, making sure the tip is in the mixture. 
Stop stirring once the sugar is dissolved and boil 3-5 minutes until it reaches 290 degrees. 

In the meantime, measure out 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds and 1 tsp Kosher or Himalayan salt (if you've just got regular table salt, use 3/4 tsp instead).  


Also measure out 1/8 tsp cinnamon (0r more if you really love cinnamon, but remember it's strong) and 3/4 tsp baking soda. 

You don't need to toast the pumpkin seeds beforehand, because they'll toast in the caramel. 


When it gets to 290 degrees, stir in the pumpkin seeds and salt. 

Keep boiling until the mixture reaches 305 degrees and turns light brown (it might need a minute after it hits 305 to turn brown). 

Turn off the heat and stir in the baking soda and cinnamon. It may bubble up. 


Quickly and carefully pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread it evenly with a heat-proof spatula. Sprinkle another 1/4 tsp of nice salt on top if you like. 



I know this looks tempting, but whatever you do, don't stick your finger in there! It's really hot! Soak the pan in water to dissolve the sugar off. 

When it is cool enough to touch, pick up and break into pieces. You can make them sorta even or different sizes. 


Right click to save to computer before printing

2 comments:

  1. Very cool Ingrid. I admire your using everything in the fridge. I need to start doing that. This looks really yummy. I'll try it come Halloween. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! I just made some cornbread muffins to use up some corn meal as well :-)

    ReplyDelete