Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Roasted Delicata Squash Rings

I'm working on a warm wintery pot roast post, but in the meantime I got my CSA box and some new photo backdrops today, so I'm too excited to not post this! Delicata squash is beautiful and easy to prepare because you don't have to peel it. I'm sticking with my Instant Pot for butternut and pumpkin, but this beauty gets roasted in the oven.

This particular squash looks like an abstract painting with pretty colors and ridges. Here is mine against my three new backdrops--hee hee. I tried to order two but once again missed the last confirmation click and ended up with a giant bunch of broccoli. Sigh.
Preheat the oven to 400 and wash off the squash. Everything in my CSA usually arrives clean, but it's best to be safe. Slice it into 1/2 inch rounds and clean the seeds out of each ring. Put the rings in a bowl and drizzle 1-2 Tbsp olive oil over them. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt and a little black pepper, then toss the rings around to make sure the oil and seasonings are evenly distributed. Line them up on a baking sheet, lined with foil if you want for easy cleanup.
Roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes and then check. They should be super soft so you can eat the skin easily--I got some that was underdone at a restaurant once and it wasn't pleasant. If they're not soft enough, turn them over and put them back in for 5-10 more minutes and check again. Because these were done in just the 20 min, they were only brown on the one side. Just put the pretty side up. No big deal.
Serve with your favorite protein and a salad. I hope you enjoy them like I do. I just want to eat the whole thing, but I'm saving some for tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment