Sunday, September 16, 2018

Herby Middle Eastern Kebabs

Long time no see, my friends! I've been meaning to post this recipe for quite some time, but life kept getting in the way. Now it's time for me to re-focus on my health and getting my creative juices going. I couldn't decide on a picture, so here are two. One of these days I'll get around to taking a photography class. 😎📷


These were inspired by a trip to the Middle East market in Berkeley, where I bought a couple of frozen things to get myself through a busy time. The kebabs I got were incredibly flavorful, but the not-so-appealing texture of the frozen product made me think I could do better. I did. If you're missing any one of the spices or herbs, it'll still be delicious.

If you use bamboo skewers on an open grill, be sure to soak them in water for at least an hour first. If you can find flat ones, use those. If not, double up so they don't spin around on the skewer. No skewers are needed if you cook them on the stove. This makes about 4 dinner servings, or divide it into 8 servings for a buffet or potluck.

Mix together:

  • 1 lb good quality 85/15 ground beef (or whatever kind you can find, though you might add a little olive oil if it's lower in fat). 
  • 1/4 tsp each: ground coriander, ground cumin, cinnamon, and turmeric
  • 2 Tbsp each of finely minced fresh parsley, cilantro, and mint
  • 2 Tbsp grated onion (you almost want it like onion juice)
  • 1/2 clove garlic, grated with a microplane or very finely minced
  • 1/2-3/4 tsp salt
  • 10 twists of the black pepper grinder (or 1/2 tsp ground black pepper)
To check the seasoning, heat up a small pan and cook off a little bit of the mixture. Add more salt or pepper if you think it needs it. 

Don't mix too long or the kebabs will be tough. Form into 4-8 cylindrical shapes and then flatten them a bit. Insert skewers if using them and cook over medium high heat for just a couple of minutes on each side. Let them rest for a couple of minutes before eating. Serve with a salad of chickpeas, yogurt, tomatoes, cucumber, and mint.  


Thanks for visiting me again!

Love, Ingrid



No comments:

Post a Comment